How to connect Google Nest Mini and Audio to WiFi
This guide will explain, in simple steps, how to connect your Google Nest devices, such as Nest Mini and Audio, to your home WiFi. However, you can use this guide for almost all your Nest devices because the approach is very similar.
The step by step guide on how to connect your Google Nest Mini and Audio to WiFi.
Before you begin:
- Make sure your phone is connected to your home WiFi.
- Have your WiFi name, also labelled as SSID, together with the WiFi pass ready at hand.
- Download Google Home from the App Store if on iPhone and Google Play Store if on Android.
- Make sure your Google Nest device is powered on.
- Open the Google Home app on your smartphone.
- Press the + icon in the top left corner of your screen.
- Select “Set up device”.
- Now choose the correct “Home”. Maybe you only have one called “Home” by default, that is okay.
- Press “Next”.
- If you don’t have enabled “Location Access”, it’ll now ask you for this, as it uses it to locate your Nest device. If it doesn’t prompt you with this, skip this step.
- It should now start connecting to your Nest device.
- If you are using a Nest Mini or Audio your speaker will now play a sound.
- On your screen, you’ll see it asks you “Did you hear the sound?” if you did press “Next” if you didn’t hear the sound press “Try Again”. If this step keeps failing please make sure your Nest speaker is powered on.
- It’ll now ask you if you wanna help improve Nest Mini/Audio. I pressed “Yes, I’m in”. But feel free to press “No thanks”, it won’t have any consequences.
- You should now choose the appropriate place where you have the Nest device. It’ll give you some options as “Basement, Bedroom, living room and such”. Press “Next” when you have chosen the location.
- You should now see a list of all the available WiFi’s it can connect to. Find your own home WiFi, tab it and press next.
- Enter your WiFi password, the same you use for connecting all your other devices. After you’ve done entering the password, press next again.
- It should now say “Connecting to WiFi”. This could take a minute or two. After a while, it should say “Connected”.
Now your Google Nest Mini/Audio is connected to your WiFi. However, the setup itself is not quite done yet.
Setting up Google Assistant on Nest Mini and Audio
- It’ll now say “Set up Google Assistant” and with it a lot of reading about privacy and partners. When you are done reading press Next.
- Google Assistant will now ask you if you want to activate Voice Match on your device. This greatly improves the experience of the Assistant. But the option is 100% up to you. Press “I Agree” if you want to use the feature and “No thanks” if you want to deactivate it. It won’t have any major consequences.
- If you pressed “I Agree” it’ll continue on showing that it’s now activated.
- Now you should see “Select a default music service”. Select what you usually use for listening to music and press Next. Google Nest will use this service if you tell it to play something.
- After this, you will also have the option to connect to a radio station.
- If you see “Get started with voice calls” you are on the right path. If you have a Google Duo account, which you should already have if you own a Gmail, you can make calls through the Nest speaker. Press Continue if you wanna explore this feature, click Not Now if you wanna skip this step.
- You’re almost done! It’ll now give you a quick review of what you have set up. Look everything through and see if it matches what you’ve set up. When you press Next, you are done.
After setting up Google Assistant, it’ll just take you a quick guide on how to use it. I recommend you to go through it if this is the first time setting up a Google Nest speaker. Alternatively, you can just tap “Not Now” to skip the guide.
If you want to see how it’s done in a video, click down below to watch:
I sincerely hope you found this guide helpful. And I hope you’ll enjoy your Google Nest device as much as I enjoy mine. 🙂
My Google Nest Mini/Audio won’t connect to my WiFi
In this case, you should try and do a factory reset. Hold down the Microphone mute switch for at least 15 seconds. The way a couple of minutes and it should now have performed a factory reset. Try following the above guide to connecting it to your WiFi.
Is Google Nest Mini a router?
Google Nest Mini is not a router. It’s a fairly simple device with a small computer chip that can connect to your router with WiFi. It works just like your smartphone.
Can I connect Google Home to external speakers or stereo?
If your external speakers or stereo then yes you can, simply say “Hey Google, turn on Bluetooth”. It’ll then be visible by any Bluetooth-enabled device and you can now pair them.
When you have paired your speakers to your Google Home or Nest speaker, you can actually select the paired speaker as your default listening device. You can do this in the Google Home App on your smartphone. This means when you have your speakers turned on and you ask your Google Home or Nest to play music, it’ll automatically play through your speakers.
Does Google Home have an audio or AUX out?
No, your Google Home does not have an audio or AUX out. However, your Google Home does have Bluetooth which means you can use Bluetooth sound receiver like the Logitech Bluetooth sound adapter. This device has audio output and with this, you can connect any speaker to your Google Home.
Can you change the wake word for Google Home mini?
No, you cannot change the wake word of your Google Home mini. The only two phrases you can use are “Hey Google” and “OK Google”.
Morten has been working with technology, IoT and electronics for over a decade. His passion for technology is reflected into this blog to give you relevant and correct information.Read more...